Monday, January 18, 2010

How do I stop my rabbit from leaving his droppings at the back door?

We have a 'free range' rabbit who uses the back door as his toilet !! We've tried spraying the area with various things including tea tree oil and lavander oil (mixed with water) but so far that hasn't deterred him. Any suggestions would be appreciated.How do I stop my rabbit from leaving his droppings at the back door?
my rabbit used to love chewing baskets my mom put her plants in.. we found this spray called ';Deer Away'; or ';Deer Off';.. something to that effect. It stinks for a bit, but he definitely hates it. He doesn't go near them anymore.





But rabbits also generally use one place for their bathroom. My rabbit is pretty ';free range'; too, but he does have a cage and he has a ';potty chair'; that hooks onto the bars with wood chips in it.. but he just figured out how to use that himself. I suggest looking up tips on how to potty train your bunny friend.How do I stop my rabbit from leaving his droppings at the back door?
put a litter box there. I have litter trained 2 rabbits.
does he use his designated litter box to defacate in as well?


one thing that may work, but may get in your way is you can put a a litter box (similar to the one he is allowed to use) near the door. Once you know he is using it, slowly begin to move the box to an appropriate place (moving it just a little bit each time). make sure he continues to use the box as it moves. If he makes a mistake start over.





(read this in a rabbit book-never tried it personally)
Beleive it or not, rabbits can actually be toilet trained. Once they have chosen where they are going to go, thats where they will always go. I suggest putting a kitty litter tray down and encourage him to use it. I did this for my rabbit and it worked wonders, he started using it straight away. If you get littler beads it will help with the smell, and no more messy clean ups!! :) Have fun

No comments:

Post a Comment