Friday, January 22, 2010

How do I determine if my rabbit is peeing normally or if it is blood?

I have a rabbit and well we think shes bleeding, but then I learned she doesn't have a heat cycle like cats or dogs and that she can pee a dark orange or red color. Now, I just need to know how we can determine if it is pee or blood. Help Please!How do I determine if my rabbit is peeing normally or if it is blood?
If you are ever worried about your rabbit and your not sure if it's blood I would take it to a vet. However, rabbit urine can range in color from bright yellow to rust red/brown. depending on their diet it can change color. usually yellow means the rabbits urinary track is healthy but just because it's darker doesn't mean the rabbit is not. I would just keep a watch on the rabbit, if the urine is red or dark red it's blood. if it is a rusty, orangish red it should be normal. A professional opinion is best always though.How do I determine if my rabbit is peeing normally or if it is blood?
If she's not spayed then get her done as blood in the urine is a symptom of uterine cancer-very common in female rabbits. urine can also be coloured by the rabbits diet so it isn't necessarily blood-try and get a urine sample(empty her cage-she'll go eventually!) and take it to the vets for testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment