Friday, January 22, 2010

How can I stop my new rabbit from chewing wires?

Well actually I know I can't stop him but is there a way to protect the wires?I just got him today and he is really cute and tame,the only thing is he has already bitten through my mobile phone charger cable.





I am worried he might electrocute himself or us or cause a fire.How can I stop my new rabbit from chewing wires?
Well you can't really stop bunnies from chewing on stuff since that's like their passion, but there are some things you could do: Hide all the cables and keep them out of his reach, provide him with lots of chew toys (my bunny use to love wood, just make sure its not treated with chemicals, you can also use cardboard in moderation), and try give him as much exercise as possible. He's probably fairly new to his cage (my bunny also chewed on his cage wires when I first got him), so the wire chewing is normal, it could also be that he's bored (are you sure the cage is big enough?? It should be at least 3 or 4 times bigger than the bunny, and he should have room to lay down). So yeah chew toys and out of time cage could fix the chewing, but make sure to houseproof your house first and pick up anything that could be chewed. You can also buy those plastic cable protectors, they really work.How can I stop my new rabbit from chewing wires?
Well really you should have the room bunny-proof, just like you would for a baby. But, you can train your rabbit by clapping once loudly and saying ';No!'; in a stern voice. Of course your rabbit won't know what No means, but I've trained both of my two buns like that. Just remember, please don't ever hit your rabbit or abuse it for bad behavier. A rabbit is like a child, it learns better with positive reinforsment. :)





I'd suggest going to:





www.rabbitsonline.net





They're a forum devoted to rabbits, and has tons of useful information.





Editted with more information:





Rabbits also need a fairly large cage. Most people think that a rabbit only needs a cage that's a few times it's size, but that's not true. Rabbits need space to hop around in their cage, considering that 80% of the day they're most likely in their cages if not more. One of my rabbits is allowed out of her cage the entire day, and the other one is out of her cage for around 4 hours to 6 hours a day if nor more.
1. Spray the electric wires with bitter apple flavored spray.


2. Don't let him chew on them, because you should watch him when he plays.


3. Connect them to the wall.
There is this spray that is sold at Petsmart (and other places, I'm sure), I believe it's called Sour Apple or Apple Sour, at any rate it's for dogs, and you spray it on things that dogs tend to chew on excessively. The stuff is supposed to be so sour, that once dogs taste it, they won't chew on the thing that has been sprayed anymore. Maybe this will work to keep your rabbit from either burning down your house, or committing accidental suicide. I'm guessing a cage for your furry little friend is out of the question.
There is something called a spiral cable wrap from Radio Shack. It would probably work really well.





http://www.radioshack.com/sm-more-produc鈥?/a>
There is bound to be a substance so bad that rabbits will never go near the wires again. I notice my rabbit RUNS from curry. The cheapest way, go to a hardware store and buy flexible hose, (garden hose would be too hard to cut) i use washing machine outlet hose . slit it down the middle and stick your wires in. (although I guess you could feed the wires through)
wow okay


i have a rabbit


get a cage!


and if you do let him/her out


watch it.


you can hide cords
he'd only electrocute himself once - release him in a field, that's where rabbits should be
is your rabbit an indoor one???


sounds like it from chewing through the charger wire. You really do need to bunny-proof your house or at least a room. you can get cable tidy tubes to put your cables in.


Think also about getting your rabbit some toys to play with so he doent get bored.
try to organise some Cage for him.
Box in permanent cables like TV's etc , and use and remove cables like mobile phones will need to be kept out of reach. Its the only way.





Our rabbitts chwed through my subwoofer cable.... they don't come in that room anymore!
Take his teeth out!
Put PVC pipe over the wires. For some darn reason they arer attracted to wires. You can get pvc in many different sizes and a few different colors they also have corner pieces and with a small saw you can cut them yourself to any size you need. Just make sure that it the pipe is wide enough to feed a plug through. This is the best method I have seen or heard of. It covers the wires completly so the rabbit can not chew them. Just check your piping from time to time to make sure bunny hasn't gotten threw it.
just let him chew a very low voltage/amp cable that gives him a mild shock- that will do the trick.
If you cant hide the wires smear them with horse radish or mustard....top up water bowl
take his teeth out

No comments:

Post a Comment