Friday, January 22, 2010

How do I litterbox train my rabbit and control the odor?

I need some advice on how to liter box train my rabbit? I have the box already, but just need to know what to get for her to teach her how to become litterbox trained? Also what can I do to cut back on the odor that comes from rabbits?How do I litterbox train my rabbit and control the odor?
Here is a list of the things that you will need to do to litterbox train your rabbit:





1) Place the litterbox in the place that the rabbit is already doing their poo in.





2) Put some litter material in the litterbox. Anything from wood shavings to straw will do. Wood shavings tend to be more absorbent and reduce the odour. Just don't use any pine or cedar shavings, and also don't use any cat clumping litters.





3) Place some of the rabbit's poo on top of the litter material and put the litterbox in the rabbit's main toileting area. The rabbit should then smell its poo in the litterbox and commence to do the rest of their poo in the litterbox.





I know it sounds too easy to be true, but it works, I can tell you! All of my litter-trained rabbits have been trained this way. Once I place the litterbox in, I don't have to do any further training. Just make sure you always place a bit of old poo back in the litterbox after you change the litter.





Hope this answer helps.How do I litterbox train my rabbit and control the odor?
Use a different kind of material than what's in the rest of the cage. The best for reducing odor is Yesterday's News (there's one for rabbits and one for cats, the one for cats is the exact same except it's in a bigger bag and it's cheaper). Change it daily to cut down on odor -- keep an empty sour cream (or something of that sort) in the bag of litter, so all you need to do is dump the litter and put a fresh sour-cream-container-full of litter in the pan. I'd suggest washing the litter pan once every two-three days for sanitary reasons.


As for litter training your bunny, keep putting her bowel movement pellets in the litter pan. It takes longer for bunnies to be trained if they're used to 'going' wherever they like, so don't think that your bunny is just being stubborn. The younger the bunny, the quicker she will pick up on it. Our rabbit was fully litter-trained in less than a week and he practically trained himself without us having to do anything but put the pan down, while a friend of mine worked away for several weeks until she finally had a breakthrough. Be patient, and until your bunny is litter trained, only change the litter every other day so she can smell her scent in the box and knows where to go. If you change it every day, she won't be able to smell her scent and know where to go.


Hope I helped!


- Alice
When I adopted my rabbit, they told me to use this: http://www.atlaspellets.com/pictures/pel鈥?/a>





Does she have one corner that she does her business in? If so, put the box in that corner and put some soiled bedding/poo in it. It takes patience, but eventually she'll get the idea. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment