Friday, January 22, 2010

How do I prevent deter my rabbit from removing her staples?

I just had my rabbit spayed, and she managed to pull out all her staples. The Vet put them back in and gave me a cone to prevent it from happening again. But she got the cone off once and in a few days she will chew through this thing. Is there anything to put on the bandaged area that will taste bad enough to keep her away, but obviously won't hurt her?How do I prevent deter my rabbit from removing her staples?
You can use a bitter spray and spray the area that should help, what I don't understand is why the vet stapled the wound and thought that this along with a buster collar was a good idea for a rabbit.


It is well known that when an animal such as a rabbit or guinea pig are neutered the area is closed using skin glue, rabbits would understandably nibble the area and a buster collar would be very stress full. If a buster collar was to be used the rabbit would not only be able to clean herself but would not be able to eat her faeces and would then be losing out on the nutrients.


If I were you I would take the rabbit back to the vets and as for the staples to be removed and have glue applied.How do I prevent deter my rabbit from removing her staples?
Well when my hamster used to chew the bars of her cage and make a loud noise by dad would put a thin layer of fairy liquid on the bars. She didnt like the taste and it didnt do her any harm.....but im not sure if thats the best thing to put on the rabbit.....maby wipe some on the cone?

No comments:

Post a Comment