Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Is a bereaved rabbit best in its own familiar surroundings or with another rabbit?

I just lost a beautiful rabbit, 9 years old, and its sister is still alive and very healthy. It now seems dreadful to have it on its own as they were together constantly for all their lives. Our vet offered someone who has one rabbit wnd wopuld be happy to take her in. Do we let her go to be with another rabbit or keep her on her own with familiar surroundings and smell etc?Is a bereaved rabbit best in its own familiar surroundings or with another rabbit?
I want to say I'm sorry you lost one of your pets. But I do feel you should keep this other rabbit seeing how you had her for so long. It was not her fault the other has passed. She is familiar with you and to let her go would be wrong. I feel when we are pet lovers they too are a big part of our family. It would be like getting rid of one of your kids. We would not dare get rid of our children, so why a pet if it has been loved so? She may take to the situation or become depressed. We are not sure what goes on in our pets minds when we give them away. It has to be very sad for them as well. Besides, if she too is that old and may some day pass as well, wouldn't you want her to be in her own surroundings with you to love and guide her through her last days as well? I also want to add that losing her sister may have made her very sad..then to get rid of her may make her depressed as well. Not in no way trying to make you feel sad, but to only point out my thoughts about it.





Maybe talk with your vet about getting a partner with your female rabbit. Check out all your avenues before making such a decision. Maybe bring in a baby rabbit for her to teach and maybe think as her own. Your pet is familiar with its surroundings. Smells, noises, your voice...I feel it would be sad for her to get rid of her. Again, this is only my opinion because I am animal lover and I could never get rid of my cat. She is so cute, fat, and funny. She has her own way about her. I swear if she could be human she would talk to me..lol...The decision is your of course, but I would wait to see what comes your way out of this. Maybe another friend for her would be nice. Good luck to you and your baby girl.Is a bereaved rabbit best in its own familiar surroundings or with another rabbit?
the EXACT same thing happened to me, but i was told (my rabbit doesnt live in the house) to bring him into the house and keep him distracted so he would eventually forget about his partner, it seems to have worked. So i say keep her, becuase shes used to you, and youve already lost one rabbit and if your anything like me (i was absolutely devastated) then losing a second one is going to be just as hard....
I would keep her because an old rabbit will probably die. Rabbits go through alot a stress when they get a new home. I would just keep her if you really care about her...

No comments:

Post a Comment