Friday, January 22, 2010

What're the odds that my rabbit will survive being neutered?

I've been putting off having him neutered for the last month or so because I know how tricky the anesthesia can be.





Any opinions?What're the odds that my rabbit will survive being neutered?
As long as your vet is rabbit experienced, the risks are very minimal. A good bunny vet knows the proper anesthesia to use and precautions to take, as they should not be put under using the same drugs they use for cats and dogs, in general. I've had lots and lots of rabbit neutered as part of the rescue work I've done, and no problems at all!What're the odds that my rabbit will survive being neutered?
The anesthesia can be tricky, but your vet should be able to handle it. It's very rare that an animal will die under anesthesia if your vet is responsible. You should also ask your vet about the possibility of doing a chemical castration. There is a new technique out that I've seen used on dogs before, but not on a rabbit. Basically, a chemical is injected into each testicle, that will cause castration without any surgery.
Because I am a breeder I have never had a rabbit neutered personally however I do sell pets and my biggest suggestions for new owners is to get their rabbits neutered.





Because your rabbit is male (i assume) the neutering process is fairly quick and easy, the biggest concern here is finding a vet who has had experience with rabbits and if lucky has done or assisted in a rabbit spay/neuter.





Please check out


http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/vet.h鈥?/a>





it is a good site with lots of info about rabbit care and the page I linked is specifically on finding a good rabbit vet!





Good Luck
I got mine neutered about two years ago. He was starting to get aggressive when ';enjoying'; himself on my stuffed animals. But now he's doing better then ever. He was just over a year when he was fixed.


Ask your vet if they have ever done it before. But they chances are pretty good he'll survive :)
If you have a good vet, he should be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment