Wednesday, January 20, 2010

How do I know if my rabbit is a mixed breed?

How do I find out if my rabbit is a mixed breed? Do I have to pay money to find out?...I want to put it in 4-H, I don't know if my Holland Lop is a pure breed.How do I know if my rabbit is a mixed breed?
Your rabbit doesn't have to be purebred to show, even in ARBA sanctioned shows, as long as it fits pretty closely to one of the recognized breed standards.





I raise Hollands, so if you're interested, you can e-mail me a picture and I'd be happy to help you out with what class you should enter him in. As long as he has the ideal features of the breed, you can enter him in the Holland Lop class at your fair, not a problem! He doesn't need a pedigree to show.How do I know if my rabbit is a mixed breed?
If you purchased your rabbit from an ARBA breeder then it is most likely purebred. if it wasn't the breeder would have informed you that it was mixed. If the rabbit is from a petstore or rescue it is most likely mixed. Few well bred, purebreeds end up in petstores.





Many 4h kids show their mixed breed rabbits in a special ';utility'; class


at the county fairs. Some counties only allow pet rabbits to be judged at a special skillathon and they do not go to the fair.





If you belong to a 4h group now ask your advisor to find someone who can help you figure out what breeds your rabbit may be. If you do not belong to a 4H club yet you can find one by calling your county extension office. They can direst you to a club that specializes in rabbits and small animals.
if it has registration papers it is purebred.. that is how the shows also know its purebred - they require a copy of the papers..


some 4H shows have ';PET'; divisions for mixed breed or unregistered bunnies...


so


no papers = not a purebred


check out this funny bunny picture


http://www.picable.com/Concepts/Humor/Da鈥?/a>
It doesn't matter in 4-H shows if it is purebred or not. They have a separate category for mixed breeds. Also, ask your 4-H leader and he or she can tell you whether or not your rabbit is purebred. Good luck.
try asking your local vet call him or see him i bet he'll know if he does not know ask the pet store, shelter ,or where you got the rabbit
If it has spots and not like pokadots.
if it has floopy ears

No comments:

Post a Comment