Friday, January 22, 2010

How to I put a rabbit harness on my rabbit?

Every time I try, she runs away from me. Is there an easy way of doing it? Should I do it in the hutch or when she's in her run, exploring?


Also, should I keep it on all the time, to stop any stress of taking it on or off, or should I take it off when I've finished, to give her a bit more freedom?How to I put a rabbit harness on my rabbit?
They are tricky they loop round the fromt legs and buckle under the belly but make sure its done up tight as when they struggle it often comes undone. make it a mure positive experiance put some grass on top ofthe hutch and sit her on it and let her start eatin it and then try puttin it on her or carrot or what ever her favouritew treat is. they come with lead so just take that off if she not in the hutch. always take it off when she goes back though. hope i helped.How to I put a rabbit harness on my rabbit?
No, don't leave it on her as she could easily get tangled up in it, breaking limbs or even choking to death. Don't put it on her in a familiar place where she'll just run away from you. What you should do is sit in a chair and carefully put it on the rabbit and give it a treat every time you can get it on her, this way she should start to associate being in the harness with getting a treat.





My rabbits are used to the harness now and I can slip it on them with no problems :]
Don't leave it on all the time, only when your using it. The previous owners of my dog (bad people) left his harness on all the time and it grew into his skin. Of course it was very tight, and they neglected him, so the circumstances are different, but I would never recommend leaving it on all the time.
Try sticking her head under your arm to calm her down and keep her from running. whatever you do, DO NOT leave her harness on her at all times. I left a harness on my bunny when she was in her cage and she chewed it off in five minutes, so I wouldn't suggest leaving it on.
Rabbits need a figure 8 harness - one loop goes around the neck/chest and the other around the belly and the hook should be on the back of the harness for the leash.





Do not use anything but a soft-lined harness - leather will rub the fur off.

No comments:

Post a Comment