Friday, January 22, 2010

What does it mean when a rabbit makes a chattering noise?

When I pick up my bunnies they sometimes make a chattering noise. Does this means their scared or angry or something? Also they nip me on the arm when I pick them up and even come across the room just to nip me but only ever on my arm. Can you please tell me what these mean as I'm worried that I'm upsetting them.What does it mean when a rabbit makes a chattering noise?
This means they are content and happy. It's like a cooing or teeth grinding sound. I raised French Lops for awhile and I had one bunny who was particularly talkative. A few bunny tips about what they like and don't like and what their actions mean.





Nipping....not biting... is a sign of affection and you can change the behaviour simply by saying in a firm voice, ';no'; and stroking your bunnies ears right afterwards. They don't realize that it can hurt us, so tell the bunny no but then give the bunny the affection it desires.





Nudging you... is a sign of wanting attention and nuzzling your face means that as well.





Squealing means your bunny is scared and this can be a danger zone for the bunny, they have been known to die from fright, if your bunny squeals/screams immediatley place a blanket or towel over your bunny and then pick up and place in a quiet room alone. Don't hold the rabbit or try to console it, you risk scaring it some more, place him or her in a quiet and safe place then check on him or her in about an hour.





Rabbits have no sweat glands so they can get heat stroke very easy make sure they live in a cooler area of the house or in a good shaded area outdoors. When extreme heat is present you can place a 2 Liter bottle that you filled 3/4 full of water and froze in the cage so the bunny has something to lay against. They will pant when to hot.





Rabbits also have very sensitive nerve endings that attach to each hair so they get great pleasure from petting. For them each time you stroke their fur it's almost orgasmic. They are very social and if you lay your bunny on it's back along your knees (lap) and softly stroke the top of their head and massage their ears you can put them in a trance. After they are deepley under you can move their feet and stuff it's really funny. They are fun pets and great to have, I used a leash on mine but she got to a point where I could let her off the leash and run free and if I thumped the ground with my hand she would come running back to me. Have fun with yours and don't worry your not hurting them. BTW contrary to popular belief carrots are high in sugar and should be given in moderation, also a special treat for them is banana chips they love them.





Hope I helped


TiggerWhat does it mean when a rabbit makes a chattering noise?
The context is very important. If your rabbit is being pet and seems content, the tooth noise is like a cat purring. It's an expression of contentment.





Loud tooth grinding can be one of the clues that the rabbit is in pain.





Do they lunge or growl when they nip you? I don't really know what to make of that. I think that sometimes rabbit nip each other as a sign of affection, so if your rabbit isn't stressed out or mad, then it might be a sign of affection. If it hurts (every nip I've gotten really hurts!), you can make a high-pitched ';eek!'; sound as they do it, to let them know it hurts you. Hopefully they'll stop.





A lot of rabbits don't like to be picked up, so I try to avoid it, unless it's absolutely necessary. My bun doesn't really mind being picked up, but we avoid it anyway, because if they struggle and fall, they can easily break a leg, or even their backs. It's not worth the risk to us.





Good luck with your bunnies!
well is it really loud or soft? if loud they are annoyed or angy, if soft they are purring and are fine. My dutch nipped me at the vets while they stuck a thermometer up her bum, my mini-rex nipped my finger cause i had cheetos on my fingers. Soooo if they nip prob not happy with you. Try to let them come to you, give them a treat now and then. If they are new, they may just need to get used to being handled. Stroke their heads they love that!
it means they are happy ...its good you can feel it ? right its like when u rub your teeth together ...dont worry it means hes really happy ....and they nip you because rabbits HATE I MEAN HATE LIKE DISPIESE IT WHEN A HUMAN IS HOLDING THEM!!!! thats why parents should never buy a rabbit for there child because its unconfty for them but the kids dont care and then the rabbit will die earlier!!=(








(\__/)


(='.'=) hope i helpz.....xxx i mean it =D
Rabbit,rabbit,rabbit,rabbit,rabbit.
Its a warning/ threat signal as far as I know.
they'r cold
i have a rabbit also .she sometimes make that same noise.I think it means that she is giving you a warning .i have stopped her doing this by hitting her lightly on the head and saying no .if you keep on doing this she will gradually learn that it is wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment