Saturday, January 23, 2010

How can I stop a house pet rabbit from relieving himself on my leather couch ?

I have tried febreeze and I have placed his litter box near the couch. He uses the box and the couch HELP?How can I stop a house pet rabbit from relieving himself on my leather couch ?
good ? because mine does that too alot...How can I stop a house pet rabbit from relieving himself on my leather couch ?
My house rabbit was very good about returning to it's cage to urinate. I recommend keeping it penned up when you aren't at home. Let it out when you are there to scoop it up and return it to it's cage if it heads for the couch.
The febreeze may be covering up the smell as far as you're concerned, but it's not eliminating the smell and rabbits have such sensitive noses that he may be able to smell the trabes of urine scent under the Febreeze. Get and enzymatic cleaner that is safe on leather (test it out on a part of the couch that doesn't show first) and use that to clean up the stain. Aside from that, make the couch off limits to your rabbit for the time being. Praise him for using the litterbox and maybe even offer him a treat when he goes in there. Put him in his cage when you're not home, or at least close off the room the couch is in so he can't get in there. If he eventually seems to understand that the litterbox is the only place it's OK to go, you can try letting him up on the couc again. But if he goes back to using it like a litterbox, you should probably make the couch a permanent bunny-free zone.





Good luck!
A rabbit isn't like trying to train a dog,as don't have the intelligence it requires to be potty trained.You will need to confine it to a cage where it will feel much safer.
rabbits are not trainable in that respect.......
http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/rabbits/a鈥?/a>





^Just gave that link to someone else... Do lots of Google searches, there are TONS of websites that'll help with litter training.





My advice is, until you can get him trained, to not let him on the couch--let him on the floor, where messes will be easier to clean up. I've heard that neutering male rabbits can reduce problems like that, but I can't confirm this.





EDIT: Trust me, they can be trained =). My current rabbit only uses his litter box (thankfully, he did this right off the get-go 'cause the pet store litter-trains their rabbits), and rarely defecates outside of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment