Friday, January 22, 2010

How do I get my pet rabbit to stop being scared of me?

I've had him for over a year, but when i try to pet him or go near him he gets scraed and runs or freezes and shakes when I do pick him up. He will only come near me when I have food.How do I get my pet rabbit to stop being scared of me?
I know this will sound hard to do. But be very still on the floor. Bunny will come up to you. Bunnies are very smart curious thinking creatures. Speak quietly, soothing. Don't try to 'grab', just let bunny know you. In time you will be able to reach out. Earn his trust first.


Bunnies are very intellighent even though thay have that 'bunny look' Like they aren't thinking. They are though!





I had to put my bunny, of just a few months, down, He had lymph glands all throughout his system full of that cottage-cheeze stuff rabbits make. He was only to get sick again. I loved him and think that he was the only being in my house that loved me as much. He had his rabbity stare, but I could always tell if he was happy or mad about something. He was so dear. He would seek me out where ever I was, and want me to hug him.How do I get my pet rabbit to stop being scared of me?
research it
change your face or put on some mak-up! hes probably scared of your face bc its ugly. lol
did you play with him alot when you first got him. if you didn't he might be shy or if there is a lot of noise around it might scare him. Try playing with with him with food. set up a food trail that leads him to you. do this in a quiet place where you won't be distrubed.
First of all, lets hope you pick your rabbit up the right way, and not by the ears.





then like the above answers, be still and patient, and the rabbit will be curious about u.
my rabbit was like that, she was shy and scared, when u give your rabbit food like lettuce then try to pet her.





rabbits are nervous critters so move slowly around your rabbit.





when u let her out of the cage sit still and the rabbit will come to u let the rabbit sniff u and climb over your legs (if your stitting down)





it will take time and be patient, i have had my rabbit for 8 years now and she is still a little shy but she lets me pick her up and pet her when i want now.





hope this helps.
You just need to spend more time with him and let him run around.





We have a bunny named Clancy who is 6 and in his first couple years he would run away and was difficult to catch. If you held and pet him, he would get tired of it and try to jump down.





But nowadays he runs up to me and follows me around!





Sometimes we let him run around in the garage and outside and he never runs away. If we open the internal door from the garage to the house, he will run like hell, jump up the stair to me and come inside and snoop around.





Then when you try to get him to jump back down the step into the garage, he won't budge because he wants to be around me. So after play time, I have to pick him up and put him back in the garage or in his cage.





He is an awesome bunny rabbit.
maby you could try to touch the rabbit more when you have food with you, maby doing that will show him you are trying to be his friend, and try holding him longer each time you give him a little snack, maby in time he will not be so scared to be with you when you don't have a snack, or food, i don't have a rabbit, but love them, my beagle loves rabbits, and wants one so bad, he sees them at the pet store and crys, and licks and cuddles them....lol..if you can not get help try calling your vet and asking what else you can do.....good luck!
Sit on the floor near him, try reading, or even lie down. He will likely come up to you eventually.
if you haven't taken him to a vet, try that. They should be able to diagnose whatever may be wrong. Sometimes both people and animals can be slow in accepting a new person. I know you've given it time, but maybe you should spend more time with it? I'd say that he would certainly appreciate that. Also, don't get mad at him or yell, he's probably scared enough already.


If those tips don't work, try putting yourself in his shoes?
take off the wolf mask.


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment