Wednesday, January 20, 2010

How can I tell if my rabbit has diarrhea?

Ever since we have trained our rabbit to do its business in one spot, I've noticed that he is urinating there a lot. At least I think it's urine. Sometimes I'll see little pellets of feces on top of it. Does the rabbit have diarrhea or is it just urinating a lot?How can I tell if my rabbit has diarrhea?
Sounds like your rabbit is just urinating a lot.





Rabbits that have diarrhea will often have a foul odor to them from the diarrhea. Also, if you flip them over they will normally be poopy around their tail. Or you will see a lot of soft feces around the pen instead of mainly hard feces.





Actually the semi-moist bowl movement the one answerer was referring to are called cecotropes. They occur about 4-8 hours or so after the rabbit eats. They are small and look like little grape clusters. They will sometimes eat them, but it is not to regain good bacteria. The cecotropes have high amounts of protein and water in them. By redigesting the cecotropes, the rabbit can gain more protein out of its diet and also conserve water better. This makes it so they can survive harsh climates like desert areas where it is dry and they must conserve water and where their sources of food may not have much protein so they have to maximize the protein they glean from it by processing a portion of the food twice.How can I tell if my rabbit has diarrhea?
Rabbits dehydrate quickly, which means he will want to drink more, which also means he'll need to pee it out often too! Since he has been taught to urinate and poop all in one spot, that certain spot isn't going to look nice at all!





So I'm sure your bun is just peeing over his droppings and sometimes stepping on it in the process. I once thought my bun had diarrhea before I found out he just liked to hop all over his waste!
it sounds like it's ok if it has diarrhea you would know it you're not feeding it iceberg lettuce i hope. too many veggies will cause loose bowels also bunnies will have a semi-moist bowel movement every day they consume it . they do this to put good bacteria back into their system
Rabbits usualy pee %26amp; poo in the same irea. Its probably just that. If your rabbit is still active and bright eyed, I don't think there is a problem, however, If you notice a change in behaviour (being more lathargic) you should take it to the vet!


xxxxxxxxxxxx
it's probably just urine. they poop on top of urine. if it was diarrhea you would know it. it would be liquid poop, and it would be outside the usual spot, cause they can't control it when it's diarrhea.

No comments:

Post a Comment