Friday, January 22, 2010

How do I put up a rabbit proof fence round my vegetables?

This is probably a rather silly question, but all the advice I've found so far says to make the fence at least 1.2 metres high and to sink it 30cm into the ground at an angle. So far, so good - but how do I get in?! Surely it would ruin the point of the fence if I leave a gap or make a sort of gate without sinking the wire underground? I am confused. And a beginner at gardening in case you hadn't guessed.How do I put up a rabbit proof fence round my vegetables?
We have just put chicken wire around our allotment, about a month ago. We bought one metre high wire, with 2.5cm holes and burried it 1 foot under ground, turning it out wards so that the rabbits can't burrow under it. So far so good, the rabbits haven't got it. We manage to step over it so there is no need for a gate. If you are in the UK we found the cheapest place to buy the wire from was Wilkinsons at 拢2.99 a 10 metre roll.How do I put up a rabbit proof fence round my vegetables?
Unless you have hundreds of invading rabbits, you don't need to go to the lengths you have described. You need to have a fence about 1.5 - 2 feet high buried about 6 inches. You can step over it easily. All you need to do is discourage the rabbits. If you put something they like to eat outside the fence, and well away from it they will be less likely to try and invade your garden. I find the occasional well placed airgun pellet is very effective in discouraging rabbits.
Don't put a briar patch - cause rabits like them. Make a fake vegetable garden in another spot in your yard and use plastic carrots - once the rabbits taste them - they will not want to eat from your real garden.
I have never had much trouble with rabbits because when I plant my garden I put moth balls around each and every plant. Make sure you put moth balls around the garden also so that this will defer the rabbits from entering the garden
dig lots of holes and plant grenades around your garden

No comments:

Post a Comment