Saturday, January 16, 2010

My rabbit has given birth and used the nesting box as a place to wee. What do I do?

My rabbit gave birth a couple of days ago to 4 kits. Yesterday I peeped in at them to find that The mother had weed in the nesting box, surrounding the babies, Thankfully not where the babies are.


Is it normal for her to wee around her babies (not on them)?


Or should I remove the bedding that she used as a toilet?


Please help .. I don't want to find out that the babies are contaminated lol!My rabbit has given birth and used the nesting box as a place to wee. What do I do?
Yes remove the soiled bedding. Replace it but try and keep the kits the way they are. Keep an eye on your doe that she doesn't urinate on the kits. This will chill them and they will die. I had a doe that did this once, she didn't stay in my herd long.





If she continues to do this I would remove the nestbox and only return it to her 2X a day for her to nurse the kits. When they are 2 weeks old and have opened their eyes you should be able to return them to her full time.My rabbit has given birth and used the nesting box as a place to wee. What do I do?
uhm ye..remove it as a toilet,and get blackets for them to lay on....an old blanket...but clean

No comments:

Post a Comment