Saturday, January 16, 2010

What rabbit breed is the easiest and least expensive to have as a pet?

I want to get a rabbit, but I need to know if there are certain breeds that are more expensive than others. I would like to get one of the least expensive rabbits. Along with your answer, could you tell me how much it is and if they're are overall easy to keep. Thanks for everyone who answered. What rabbit breed is the easiest and least expensive to have as a pet?
Okay, heres my opinion. I own Holland lops, which I ADORE. Their ears are down and they normally get to about 4 pounds. I find that they are one of the more friendly kinds of rabbits if taken care of and paid attention to. If you look in the right place you could probably find a bunny for $20-$35.





I do not suggest getting Netherland Dwarfs though, not unless you are getting an older rabbit or you know what you are doing with a younger/baby. When I was breeding Netherland Dwarfs I found that their immune systems were weaker and they died more easily as babies. What rabbit breed is the easiest and least expensive to have as a pet?
I have some sort of a cross between an English rabbit and the pet shop owner said a dwarf (I don't think that's true though). I think to buy her she was about 拢10. She's pretty easy to look after, she gets lots of fresh food as well as her hard rabbit food which isn't too expensive.


I think rabbits prefer to be in pairs but mine is fine alone as I spend time with her out of her cage letting her run around the house. We got her spayed which is quite expensive but does help with their aggression and I think it also helps against cancer. We get her jabbed every year but I can't quite remember what for, you may want to look it up, and the jabs aren't cheap (neither expensive) but it keeps your rabbit safe.


My friend has a dwarf rabbit and she says it's very aggressive, they can't even handle her.
THe least exsepniseve breeds would of course be the smaller breeds becuase they don't eat as much food and don't need as big if a cage as the others. But I wouldn't just go for least exspenive becuase over all there really isn't much of a difference in prices between the larger and smaller breeds.





When picking out a rabbit i would go for personality. Generally the larger breeds tend to be alot sweeter and nicer. My favorite breed is English Lop with the best personality of all the breeds I have raised. Some people don't want to get one becuase they think that their ears will get int he way., but they learn not to step on them and we havn't had any problems with getting to cold or hot. There is also the Flemish Giant which is the largest of the rabbit breeds. The are like a carrying around a big rag doll. You can just pick them up by their belly and carry them around with one arm. Both breeds learn to come when they are called andfollow me around.





As for small breeds the friendliest breeds I have ever raised/seen have been the : Mini Satin, Velveteen Lop, Mini Lop, Himilayan, and Havana. Although there are more out there those are my favorite as pet bunnies. Holland lops, as mentioned below are cute and friendly but tend to be on the hyper side. (which can also vary on how much you hold them. )





Lastley the breeds I would stay away from are:





Tan, Britannia Petite, Netherland Dwarf, Jersey Wooly, All the arched breeds (Checkered Giant, Rhinelander, English Spot, ect.) Silvers. All the breeds listed are tend to have evil disposistions, or too hyper to own as just a pet (need lots of running space and escersize, can get mean if not enough attention is given).
Rabbits cost about 拢10 a month to keep. As long as you have one you don't have a problem. I have a colony and they are pricy. seven cost me around 拢50 a month in hay, bedding, feed etc. One rabbit is fine. I would make sure it's neutered or do this asap. My rabbits in the past have breed with the neighbours, wild rabbits when i lived on a farm and now the ';accident of one male escaping due to local kids letting him out in with my four females!';. Before you know it the rabbit you thought would be 拢10 ends up costing you 拢110 with all its' new pals. I would say though that you need to account for treats, all your initial outlay like your hutch around 拢60 and bowls, waterbottles etc.





Hope you enjoy your new bunny. They are fantastic fun, but mine are more than 2 hours daily time commitment if you look after them properly. It's even more when you have more. You need to be giving it atleast four hours to run in the garden. Not all mine get that freedom, but most run out allday if you can create a patioed or chicken meshed garden with gravel over it. The cost of this for me has been around the cost of a hutch. It was easier to sort the garden out.





Generally rabbits want alot of attention. It's easier to keep my cats than my rabbits and i'm starting to think a dog would be less work. You can get away with little effort on your part, but it's not really fair on a rabbit to sit in it's hutch allday doing nothing except eating and drinking , you need to consider playtime, cleaning time, grooming time if you have a long hair, which i have and woudn't recommend for ease of keep.





My dwarf rabbit eats least, but costs a fortune in vets bills. One of my rabbits got conjunctivitis and costs me again. My dwarf had pasturella and is kept seperate but costs me 拢30 a month in vets bills, my other english breeds are generally hardy and look after them selves.





I just have them roaming the yard all day and they are quite happy with this and require less cleaning as they soil the cage less than my hutch kept rabbits. Obviously you will have to invest in a run if you don't have an enclosure, costing around 拢30. Best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment