Saturday, January 16, 2010

Why does my rabbit use the litter box for some of her defecating, but not all? How should I train her?

I [very] recently got a pet loinhead rabbit. She is four months old. She always urinates in the same corner of her litter box, and does most of pooping in it, but always poops in the rest of her cage as well. Why does she do this?


I know that rabbits can be litter box trained; how do I go about getting her to use the box 100% of the time? Why does my rabbit use the litter box for some of her defecating, but not all? How should I train her?
Rabbits are very rarely 100% litter trained. You will always get the odd poo in the wrong place. She is still young so just pick them up and put them into the proper toilet area. Remember to get her spayed at six months so that she doesn't start using urine to mark her territory (+ to stop uterine cancer)Why does my rabbit use the litter box for some of her defecating, but not all? How should I train her?
Okay, training a bunny isn't always easy, but it can be done. You can even train them to shake, stand up, and twirl just as if they were a dog. If you don't believe me Youtube it up, I was shocked because I had a bunny for 9 years and never could get her to shake!





With my bunny, what I did was put her box on her favorite corner, when she pooped outside, I'd collect the poop and stick it in her box so she knew where to put it. Remember bunnies are sensitive animals and you have to be patient with them, but in the long run it's well worth it. They are amazing animals and pets if you know how to treat them.
Well if you dont want it pooping any were else you may try putting hay in the other areas so it can realize this is were i sleep not were i poop and after a month it shood only go in one spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment