Monday, January 18, 2010

How can I stop a rabbit from building its nest in my yard?

I think a rabbit is trying to build its nest in my backyard. There's a small ditch with a lot of fur around it, and I've seen a rabbit twice in my yard. I have 3 dogs, so I don't want them to kill the babies. Is there anything I can use that will stop the rabbit from coming back without hurting it?How can I stop a rabbit from building its nest in my yard?
Please do not trap it and relocate it - you may be wrong about its intentions and it may already have a nest full of babies nearby. It could just be checking out the ';salad bar'; in your yard. If you have any bird feeders, the seed that falls from them attract rabbits. I have a whole yard full of them sometimes, munching on the corn, sunflower seeds, peanuts and other bird food that has fallen from the bird feeders.





If she does have a nest in your yard, couldn't you just keep your dogs on a leash until the babies are old enough to get away from the dogs?How can I stop a rabbit from building its nest in my yard?
Morally, I think it would be wrong to relocate the mother now with the possibility of her having a nest full of babies you'd be forcing her to abandon to certain death. I've had many hunting dogs in my backyard and many springs full of baby rabbits, every year when I suspect a nest I just put the dogs on a lead in the backyard. Or just keep an eye on them when they're outside. Then after you see the babies hopping around, THEN try to relocate them elsewhere or spray around some deterents, that's what I'm doing this year. But whatever you do, don't relocate til the babies are on their own or either way they'll die whether it be by your dogs or having their mother taken away. And from now on, just buy a commercial deterant and spray it around your yard, it's safe for the rabbits and pets. Canola oil is a good cheap one.





YA! The Canola oil is a keeper. I just sprayed some under my fences and didn't realize the male rabbit was still in the yard and he hated it so much he wouldn't even leave the yard because he couldn't get near the fence he disliked the stuff so much. I JUST came back inside and am still out of breath because I literally had to catch the scared little guy with my bare hands and carry him out to the woods. He definitely won't be coming back with this new repellent. Use it, it's a must. (But again, make sure there aren't any nests in your yard, if so WAIT to use it and keep your dogs tied in the mean time.
put a cage up. if u call animal control they will kill it!!just put a cage up cuz it might be too late, they might already have babies.if there is fur then they probaly do havce babies or either they r pregnant.good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment