Friday, May 14, 2010

Will my pregnant rabbit kill her babies if I continue to check in her hut?

She is due anyday with her first litter so I continue to check her nest box for babies. She will go to the back corner of her cage and start breathing heavy when I open the cover to the nest box or her cage door. She will allow me to pat her but only for a short time and she stays in the back corner when anyone is near the cage. Am I making her nervous? Should I leave her alone to help prevent her from hurting the babies when they are born?Will my pregnant rabbit kill her babies if I continue to check in her hut?
I would try to limit yourself to reaching in the cage once a day at feeding time. When she kindles (rabbit breeder word for giving birth) there will be some clues...pulled fur on the floor of the cage or on the ground underneath, maybe some blood on her nose, etc. Then you can check the nest. I would distract her with a small treat when you do so, such as a little piece of apple or banana.





It is possible that she may kill the babies by stomping on them if she's frightened during the birth, but more likely that she could ignore them if she feels like you're checking on her too much. The heading to the corner and heavy breathing is a sign of fear. Like I said, once a day, at feeding time. I know it's tough when you're excited!





Their behavior is indeed different from dogs and cats. Rabbits are prey animals and in the wild does spend a very minimal time at their nests to avoid luring predators to them, which is why they do NOT appreciate you keeping a close watch on them. She will mostly ignore her litter except to feed them once or maybe twice a day. Give her some space.Will my pregnant rabbit kill her babies if I continue to check in her hut?
If she is stressed out, she may hurt them but it depends if she likes you or not and about her temperment. My bunny only likes me and will scratch anyone else that holds her. Some rabbits will kill their young if they fell threatened. Sometimes if one is born dead, she will eat it to protect her other babies from the bugs that would be attracted to the dead one. Rabbits are usually great mothers, but you should leave her be just in case.
surf on the web
MY RABBIT GAVE BIRTH TO HER FIRST LITTER 10 DAYS AGO, I HAD NO IDEA SHE WAS PREGNANT. I WOKE UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT TO FIND 5 BABIES AND I MAY HAVE MADE HER NERVOUS AND SHE CHEWED THE EARS AND TAILS OFF TWO OF THEM BUT THATS FROM OVER CLEANING DUE TO STRESS, THE BABIES ARE FINE EXCEPT ONE SHE CANNABILIZED IN FRONT OF ME. THAT IS NORMAL ALSO. I WOULD PROBABLY STAY AWAY AND LET HER DO HER THING MAYBE CHECK IN ONCE OR TWICE A DAY, ATLEAST ONE DAY AFTER SHE HAS THE BABIES IT IS OK TO BE AROUND THEM KEEP OTHERS AWAY AND YOU CAN TOUCH THEM, BE SURE YOUR HANDS ARE ALWAYS WARM AND RUB THEM IN THE HAY BEFORE TOUCHING THEM, AND BE SURE THEIR KEPT WARM AT ALL TIMES. I DID THE RESEARCH, AND NOW I HAVE 4 BEAUTIFUL BUNNIES AND MY FEMALE IS DOING GREAT, AND REMEMBER SHE WILL ONLY FEED ONCE OR TWICE A DAY AND STAYS CLOSE BY KEEPING AN EYE ON THEM AT ALL TIMES. THEIR BEHAVIOR IS MUCH DIFFERENT FROM A DOG OR CAT. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW BABIES.
set up a webcam or a baby monitor
you should not desturb her much , just make sure she is clean and dry and warm has her food and water , and a rabit is a prey animal so if she feels threatened she will do as she is doing , i have heard that they will hurt there babies if upset at all , the best ting to do is not bug her to much when she does have them , make sure noting can get to her cage and upset her like bakin dogs and such ,.
No she'll just probley bite you and try to protect her babies...

No comments:

Post a Comment