Friday, May 14, 2010

What is the best way to shear an angora rabbit?

We shear ours with an Oster electric #10 blade and sewing scissors. The electric shaver is getting a lot of second cuts, and the scissors sometimes cut the rabbit. Should we switch to a different blade number or are we doing okay?What is the best way to shear an angora rabbit?
When I was in FFA, my teacher told those of us raising rabbits (including angoras) that the best way to get the fur off was to brush it out or pull out the tufts.


Shaving is bad for the undercoat and hard on a rabbit's delicate skin.What is the best way to shear an angora rabbit?
Scissors are yes, hard to use on angoras! and, get it un evan. Shaving is bad for the undercoat and may get it un evan but, will grow back. It is best and kinda easy to just brush the ton and tons of fur they have out. This wont of course get everything, butit will make them fell better,%26amp;look better

Report Abuse



I use scissors and did nick my rabbit once. She healed up really fast with a drop of liquid stitches. I was reading about the electric shears and the impression I got was that they take a lot of practice, and that you'll be using your scissors for awhile to supplement the shears.





And to answer another ';answerer';, German angoras don't shed, so you have to shear them. You can't just gently pull out their wool like you can with French or English angoras.
i would stick with the clippers, but try a different blade.





I forgot what I used to use, I think some how it may have been a 40 but I cant remember. I found scissors dangerous, for as you said they cut the bunny sometimes. I havent done it in forever so I cant remember, You could probably talk to a local wool growers, or spinners club they will probably know better.





And for the people who didn't know, angora is used like sheep wool to make sweaters or what have you. It can be used alone, but for the most part mixed with sheep wool for a softer feel.
umm, why would you do that in the first place





=\

No comments:

Post a Comment