Friday, May 14, 2010

Does my house rabbit need bedding in the winter?

My two house rabbits live in my spare room. They have a really big pen with a hutch in it that they can hop in and out of (I've taken the front off but the ';bedroom'; bit is still enclosed). While I'm at home to supervise, they have the run of the house.





Just wondered if I should put bedding in now it's getting colder. They never use the bedroom bit of the hutch, they always sleep on the floor and when I'm at home I have the heating on but leave the radiator off in their room (they seem to prefer it in there because it's cooler). So do I need to give them bedding or will they be ok in an unheated (draught free) room?Does my house rabbit need bedding in the winter?
yes you should. I used to put bedding in my rabbits hutch all yaer round and she was inside. They like to barrow them selfs into it, just like they do in the wild. Also they love to eat the hay/straw. Put plenty in and them will make a bed for themselves and lay there rather than the floor.Does my house rabbit need bedding in the winter?
I think you should give them bedding all year round, with more in winter than summer.





This is only my opinion and not based on any actual experience as my rabbit is kept outside.
er not really a question if you think about it... put it down... if they use it they use it . if they dont they dont... problem solved...
I would we have a indoor rabbit and we put it in the bedroom part of it,s cage (hay and shredded paper) we use.
Rabbits aclimate well to different temperautres. If you have never used bedding for them before you don't have to start now. You'll notice as the temerautre's get cooler there going to eat more to build up there fat. There fat act's like a coat and stores and retains heat better than you think. So I would'nt worry about it. My daughter has 6 rabbits that she has had for almost 7 years and she never uses bedding for them unless her females are pregnant.
Yes, put some in for them
so you dont have to waste money on all that bedding...you can put down some fleece for the bunnies to snuggle with...that way you can just throw it in the wash when you feel like it, and they love it :D
IT is actually healthier for rabbits to have afresh supply of hay in their bedding.
Bedding is snuggly, not just warm. I think most animals have an instinct to snuggle, but you'd soon find out. Put something there for them and see if they use it. Maybe an old fleece or something similar. I use old cloth nappies for my cats to snuggle into.





Out of interest - how come your rabbits don't chew your house wires - and don't they wee on the floor?





By the way - it's fantastic that you are giving your pets so much space. I hate to think of animals in tiny hutches and cages.
You should put bedding in there for them, that way they wont be sleeping on the cold floor.
I have 2 house rabbits as well and during the winter I give each of them a towel. They enjoy playing with them as well as sleeping on them. I give them regular size shower towels. Ones that I am not going to use again because they like to tear them up as well. It keeps them warm and gives them something new to play with.
i would put bedding in and that way they can sleep on it if they want if not they will sleep elsewhere if they dont like it
i think you should have a bed all year round for it a dog has a dog bed so really the rabbit should have a rabbit bed with lots of stuff to keep warm under
well you could always add bedding just in case they want to use it,just use some old shredded news paper,or you can go to a pet store and buy bed fluff its around $3-$4 .


its better to be safe then sorry.and if they don't use it,you dint waist a lot of money.
don't mess with it, just eat the thing.
Since it's getting colder they might want it on now (depending on where you live and how cold it gets during your winter) and I don't think leaving them with no heat is a good idea. Unless you put a lot of bedding it probably won't keep them too warm, just give them a blanket or something they can lie on and anyway they will probably snuggle to keep warm.
I would give them old towels to snuggle on but give them a little bit of hay too as it supplement's their diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment