Friday, May 14, 2010

How long does it take to litter train your rabbit?

I have had my rabbit for a week and a few days. She poops everywhere but half the time she will go in her litter box. What should I do?How long does it take to litter train your rabbit?
How old is your rabbit and is she spayed? Very young rabbits won't usually be reliable at using a litter box until they are probably 4-6 months of age, and adults who are not altered will sometimes not use one reliably either. Time to litter train will vary widely by individual, from those who seem to instinctively use it, to those that may take a month or so to get the hang of it. The key is to slowly offer freedom as your rabbit gets the hang of using the box. This site will give you some more tips and tricks: http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/litte鈥?/a>How long does it take to litter train your rabbit?
My rabbits generally took about two-three weeks to litter train. I mean, they're not perfect, but they're still young an unaltered. My older girl will use a corner one and loves it. My little guy just would not take to the corner variety and I picked up a rectangle cat one on whim since I wanted a third litter box for the space they use for their out time. Well, much to my surprise, he hopped right into the rectangle one and I haven't had problems since!





You should know that since your rabbit is still new to the space she will take some time to litter train. Rabbits will usually spend the first week or so in your care marking their new home. When I first got a rabbit I was widely unprepared for the assault of territory-marking poo. Once they calm down with the area, realize there's hay in their litter box, and sit down to munch, it will usually progress from there. As long as your rabbit is using the box to at least pee in, you've won half the battle. Watch for where she pees, and you may have to shift the box around the cage for awhile. Once she is peeing in the box, just leave it there. The poo part will come with time.
I was told by a person who used to own a pet store to do the following: (If the rabbit is in a cage)


Watch where it poops or urinates. I would suppose you would just leave the box out, at this time. She said they usually use one area in a cage. When you figure out which area that is, put the litter box there. If it is going everywhere, it may be harder to train. If it is not in a cage, I don't know how you do it. Some will use the boxes.
Well she's pooping because she's scared. I have a rabbit his name is Mr. Fuzz Bugz. He was exactly like that. Just always hold her with a towel so it catches the poop.
aren't you supposed to keep rabbits in a care? i didnt know they used literboxes. huh interesting

No comments:

Post a Comment