Wednesday, May 12, 2010

How long does rabbit sexual maturation frustration last for?

Recently my rabbit became VERY afraid of me. I had her since she was a bunny, and she was always happy to see me and play with me. But recently she bolts away from me if I make any move. I think it must be because she is now sexually mature, but how long will this last for? Will she always be afraid of me from now on? Neutering is not an option.How long does rabbit sexual maturation frustration last for?
I suggest you make spaying an option. Did you know that up to 80% of female rabbits develop uterine cancer by the age of four? Spaying will completely eliminate this risk. It will also make her happier, and eliminate the risk of accidental litters. She will be better behaved, have better litterbox habits, and will not run away from you.





If you don't get her spayed, you're probably in for a long, unhappy road with this poor bun. Or a short, unhappy road, if she gets cancer.How long does rabbit sexual maturation frustration last for?
If you refuse to spay her, this behavior is what you can expect on and off for pretty much the rest of her life- and then some.


If you are not planning on breeding her, I simply can't understand neutering could not be an option. It really is hard on the rabbit, since their natural instinct is to breed. Some rabbits stop eating out of ';frustration'; and fall ill. Leaving her intact without breeding increases her cancer risk, will likely make her an agressive, unpleasant rabbit to be around (trust me...she might be running from you now, but those teeth can be mighty dangerous), and she may even begin spraying urine (yes, females do that too)-and believe me...rabbit urine beats cat urine for stinkability every time.
Why is spaying her not an option? my rabbit was just like yours, until I got her done 2 months ago, and now she is a lot more affectionate :D She will stay like this into old age (probably 8 or 9) because they are such prolific breeders....

No comments:

Post a Comment