Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What kind of rabbit makes the best pet for a 10 yr. old boy who really wants one so badly?

This would be an inside rabbit, what kind of cage %26amp; good source of info. on rabbits. I want to get it for him for Christmas, doing research now.What kind of rabbit makes the best pet for a 10 yr. old boy who really wants one so badly?
A good breed of rabbit for children is the Mini Rex. They stay small, 4# and under. They do not need alot of grooming. All of the ones I have ever known have great personalities.





I would suggest a buck(male) rabbit as females can become a little territorial when they reach breeding age (around 6 months). You do have to make sure they can't chew on any wires or furniture.





Rabbits can be taught to use a litter box also. They do have an odor from their urine but if you keep the cage clean it won't be a problem.





I would not suggest a dwarf breed as they can be a little aggressive. The ones I have had in the past often bit me . So I don't breed those kind anymore.





Please do not buy your rabbit from a petstore. These rabbits often come from mill type settings, and the rabbits can be unhealthy and not show it right away. Buy from a breeder. You can get information on breeders in your area on the ARBA website. If you can go to a rabbit show and talk to people about the different breeds.


Rabbits area good pets to help kids join 4H also.





If you lived near me I would offer you one of my Mini rex as I have 2 litters of kits right now that can leave their dams in about 2 weeks.





Good Luck and have fun with your bun!! :)What kind of rabbit makes the best pet for a 10 yr. old boy who really wants one so badly?
If it's going to be inside I suggest a dwarf rabbit, they don't get too big. Pet store cages are way too small for rabbits. I make my own cages for my pets. A friend of mine has her rabbit in a c%26amp;c cage(www.cavycages.com) she built it her self for $30. It's 6 feet long and 2 feet wide. A good way to get lots of info is to join a rabbit forum, they'll help you out.
Do you really know how bad a rabbit smells! OMG don't do that to yourself, or him. They pee worse then a man. Unless you have a barn outside you shouldn't have any rabbits.
a little cottontail rabbit
Firstly what the person said about rabbits being smelly is rubbish, i have a rabbit who lives in my living room,she cleans herself and we clean her cage every couple of days and it dosent smell one bit, you will need a fairly big cage because the bunny will need plenty of room to grow into it, i have a cage with a plastic bottem and metal bars and its always been fine, as she only uses it to sleep, if your going to have the rabbit running round the room make sure all areas are blocked off, when i first got mine she crawled under the tv cabinet and stayed there for 3 hours... i was stressed right out lol but with time shes grown to know where shes allowed and where shes not, Any rabbit would make a brilliant pet, breed is just personal choice, good luck and enjoy your rabbit!
We have a Rex rabbit. She is very friendly, and gets along with our dog and cats. I would look up websites on rabbit care to help decide what type of cage would be best and for feeding instructions.
i have recently bought my 10 year old a lop ear rabbit. I done alot of research on the internet beforehand and got a hutch. i allowed him to choose which one and to name it. Its a fluffly little creature and my son is so happy to own it. Rabbits are easy to keep clean, and cleaning the hutch isnt hard work. It gives the child a feeling of responsiblity!

No comments:

Post a Comment